Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blue jeans+Chili Powder+ Restaurants on the water = Love

When I arrived in Israel, I noticed I had incurred several "war wounds" from the journey in the form of large bruises; mostly from lugging around suitcases more than half of my size. I had thought that most of them were healing...and then.

I was getting dressed a few days ago and noticed several areas on my legs that were dark blue. I began to panic a bit not able to understand where they had come from and why there were so many. I know what you are thinking; and no, I did not come to Israel to become a cage fighter.

I examined the bruises a little more closely and tried to remember what I would have done to cause them as I put on some lotion. Suddenly, I looked down at my hands and realized some of the dark blue coloring was on my hands mixed in with my lotion. As I stared I erupted in laughter in the realization that my legs were not bruised but simply dyed dark blue from my new jeans I purchased before the trip. Several showers later, my legs still have little blue patches.... thank goodness it's not swimsuit season!

Last Thursday I told the guys that I would cook them a nice dinner as a thank you for allowing me to stay in the apartment. Shopping in the supermarkets here is quite expensive so I took a bus to the city center to go the the shuk (open market). There I was mistaken for a Russian for the first time this trip. I lasted a week, it's actually a record for me.

Fruits, vegetables and spices are much cheaper in the shuk, along with other various tourist items (a good trip for travelers). I made them Mexican food; something difficult to find in Israel. I specifically needed to find paprika. In the open markets here they sell spices the same way they did back in day; big barrels or sacks full of spices that they shovel into bags as needed. There is something about standing around all those spices that just makes me feel happy. Perhaps it reminds me a little of home since we always have a stocked spice cabinet that we use daily to cook with.

I found one of the spice vendors and proceeded to search out the needed paprika. I had no luck finding it on my own. Upon asking the owner if they carry it she proceeded to the area where it was kept and began shoveling several pounds of the spice into a plastic bag. I'm thinking, I only need 1/4 cup, what am I going to do with all of this. I then found myself repeating the word less to her over and over until I think she finally tired of me, decided she wasn't going to take any more out and simply wrapped it up and told me how much I owed. Still puzzled by where I lost control of this situation, I handed her the money and continued about my way.

It had been raining all day. I noticed the water was beginning to seep into my boots and I decided I could not put off shoe shopping any longer. I finally decided on a cute pair of faux leather Rocket Dogs. They aren't as cute as my old ones, but they'll do the trick for now. On my way back to catch the bus home, a friend and I stopped in a vintage shop that I had never noticed before. This is odd being that vintage and I are like peanut butter and jelly, a match made in heaven (my pocketbook might disagree).

We browsed the racks finding all sorts of clothes from various decades including: an 80's Flashdance cut-ff sweater tee, a kimono, some flowy 70's skirts and some pretty funkified hats. The shop also had vintage furniture and accessories. My faves, an rotary dial phone and a 1950's green Frigidaire. The crem de la crem was a tan leather Dior handbag. It beckoned to me. Being that I had just purchased the shoes, I was forced to practice restraint. I might just have to go back though.... Stay tuned.

Anyway, back to the dinner. After our adventure in the vintage shop, I got back to the apartment quite late. I all the sudden noticed that I had forgotten to buy meat. I grabbed my purse and to the elevator down, happy that there is a supermarket next door to the building. I walk in and rushed through the aisles in a hurry to grab the package of beef and run back upstairs. I had forgotten that in smaller supermarkets here you have to stand at the butcher counter and ask them for whatever you need.

They have separate counters for chicken and for beef. I stood in front of the beef counter for a few minutes and then I realized that I had forgotten how to say ground beef in Hebrew. I had to make a call to my brother who couldn't exactly remember but said he was more or less sure it was "basar bakar". So, I walked up to the counter and asked if they had any "basar bakar". I couldn't figure out why he gave me such a blank stare. He finally asked "how much?". I stood staring for a moment, this was another question I had not figured out an answer to. After I gave him the amount he takes out a huge slab of beef and begins cutting it into chunks. I didn't have time to figure it out with him so I took the meat and went to check out. It wasn't until later that I realized I stood at a counter full of beef and instead of ground beef simply asked if they have any beef... yeah. No wonder he treated me like I was an idiot.

Checking out was a whole other ordeal. I have been in that supermarket three times now. Each time I've gone through the express lane and had the same checkout girl; an Arab woman in her late-twenties. For a reason that I cannot even fathom this lady seems to hate me. The first time I went in she just gave me a nasty look. The second time, I was with my brother. She smiled at him and gave me another nasty look. This time she finished with the customer in front of me, gave me another nasty sneering look when she saw me and then proceeded to take a break and send a few text messages while I stood waiting. When she finally got to ringing through my items she only rang half and asked, "anything else?" I told her, "Yes, the rest of the stuff on the conveyor belt!"... another nasty look. I honestly do not know what I did.

When I finally got dinner made, the guys were excited and grateful for the Mexican food. They had gone back down and bought some ground beef and the paprika the woman in the market sold me turned out to be a very spicy chili powder that made even the guy's eyes water. It was a long and interesting day, but it ended well and with very full stomachs.

The weekend brought more excitement. Friday night my brother, one of his roommates and I took a walk around a nearly vacant city. Everything shuts down for the Sabbath here. It was nice just to have a moment of quiet. It is always so noisy in this city.

Last night was a little more eventful. In the afternoon we watched the movie "What Happens in Vegas". I identified with the character Joy, who quit her job because she had decided that she was determined to be happy. She was also extremely Type A, like myself. Leaving everything and starting over is not an easy thing for our kind. The movie inspired me and I told the guys that I was going to change and when I was done we were going out. No there was no binge drinking, riding in limos or spur of the moment weddings like in the movie. We took a taxi to the port area and walked around. We ate at one of the best burger places I've been to here and then had some coffee and another shop. Pretty tame compared to the movie in fact. The important part is that it made me happy to just be out with friends telling stories and laughing. Also, seeing the water there was amazing! I can't wait to see it during the day or even the sunset.

Well, that's it for now. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment